On a recent trip to San Diego, without kids, I brainstormed on topics of conversation that didn't revolved around my children.
Topics included:
- health care
- Electric magnetic field around the earth is reversing, causing a gaping 'cancer' hole in the Pacific ocean.
- Real estate in San Diego and people's recommendations on where to go house hunting.
- Ask interesting questions about a person's profession. For example, the rehearsal dinner we went to had us sitting next to a couple who were cops out of Philadelphia... very interesting conversations with them.
I was able to hold meaningful conversations and didn't seem either 1) kid-o-maniac or 2) a bump on the log because I didn't say anything.
My real point is that I'm not a social person. If given the choice, I'd rather sit in a corner, even if I like the people I'm with. And I realized that talking about my kids is ok but you need to limit it. It takes a lot of work but trust me, if you try, you don't have to talk about your kids all the time. A great conversation can be had if you just try to get out of your corner, even if you don't like the people you're hanging around.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment