Here's my lesson for the day. When someone is an expert in child-rearing, listen to them and if you don't like what you hear, just store it in your head, say thank you and think about what they just told you but later.
Sit down over a cup of coffee, away from your kids, assess and really think about what you were told.
As we all know, terrible twos come quite early. Like say, at 11 months. Both our kids were like that.
Ethan was no exception to the rule. In fact, he wrote the rule book.
At around 18 months old or so, when he started with a tantrum, I put him in his room on his bed. I told him, "Come out when you're happy." I shut the door until it was just cracked. Sometimes it took 4 tries. But we were consistent. I personally thought he might be too young to understand but read on.
After a month, he would start to come out and give us kisses. This was his form of saying he was sorry.
About a month ago he actually started walking himself in there when he was upset. Then he would come out happy.
A round of applause has to go out to my sister-in-law Lisa. She is not a self-proclaimed expert. That's an honor I bestow on her myself. She and my brother explained this act to me and how Izzy acted. I'm amazed at how well it worked. Ethan understand his tantrums are unacceptable and will not be acknowleged. She's a smart cookie, that one. I'm so lucky to have her as my "sister". I love you and think of you daily as my child sends himself into his room.
If I could just get her to take Sydney on play-dates now....and fix the territorial acts of a lion.. we'd all be happy in the Weddle house.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you and we promise to take Sydney soon especially over Winter Break. We will be working on wearing a smock when we paint, dogs, and give me a list :)
Post a Comment